January 19, 2018

My Aladdin Collection: Flesh/Rose Moonstone Cathedral Model B (1934)

Introducing the 9th vintage lamp in my collection...

Representing the Model B Cathedrals: 
FLESH/ROSE MOONSTONE (112)

The Cathedral lamps were produced in 1934. They were the second style of Model B and followed the Colonial. The Cathedral style is known for the six-sided hexagon base and wide vertical ribbed font. Cathedrals are sometimes be mistaken for the Corinthian because the top of the font has the same vertical ribbing. The obvious difference is that the Cathedral font is all glass, while the Corinthian has a metal connector connecting the font and the foot. 

Cathedral Lamp Details
Model - B
Year Produced - 1934
Font/Burner - Side Draft
Chimney - Lox-on

Cathedral Lamp Styles
102 Clear Crystal
108 Green Crystal
109 Amber Crystal
110 Whtie Moonstone
111 Jade/Apple Green Moonstone
112 Flesh/Rose Moonstone

My New Lamp
I was really excited to finally pull the trigger on this lamp style. I had seen a few lamps here and there, but there was always something not quite right with the lamp and I had a very hard time distinguishing the actual color of pink. You see, they didn't just make a "pink" moonstone lamp. The pinks come in 2 shades: a light rose pink and a darker "flesh" pink. Both were produced as the same style number 112. According to the Collectors Manual and Price Guide, the Flesh Moonstone is worth about $100 more than the Rose Moonstone. So, I was really hoping to find the Flesh color. However, viewing photos online with varying light for each lamp, it was (and is) really hard to tell. I will be honest in saying I'm not actually sure which shade I ended up with, even seeing it in person. I think you would need to have several shades next to each other to decide. In the photos I took below, the color looks rather light, but I think it actually looks quite a bit darker in person. Either way, it is still a really pretty lamp. My deciding factor when buying this lamp was that the price I paid was in the value range of the Rose. So, no matter which color of pink moonstone an expert collector would determine it to be, I still got an OK deal (even better if it is classified as Flesh).

I love the unique six-sided base with the beading around the top - very cool! Another beautiful aspect of this lamp is the view from the top! Who would have guessed?! The ribbing makes a really neat pattern.

Another cool bonus with this lamp is that the chimney came with an original box, and the original wick came inside an original box, with the original instructions! I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of the Model B instructions - even just a PDF online. But, even as popular as these lamps are, I had been unsuccessful. So, that alone, was another great reason to get this lamp.

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I TOTALLY missed the fact that the Model B burner that came with this lamp is different from my other 5 Model Bs. All of those are imprinted with "CHICAGO, ILL". This one, however, is imprinted with "Nashville, TENN". The distinction is when the burner was produced. From 1933-1948 the Aladdin headquarters were located in Chicago. When the headquarters moved to Nashville in 1949, the wick raiser knobs were changed. So, other than being interesting, why does this matter? Well, The Cathedral lamp was produced in 1934. The earliest that this burner could have been produced was 1949. That means, this burner is not original to this lamp! It is the correct model, though, which is the most important thing to me. At some point, I might replace this burner with a Chicago one, just to be a little more authentic. If I end up with a Nashville Treasure lamp, this burner would be perfect for it. Either that, or maybe a tall Lincoln Drape or a Washington Drape (with a plain stem).

Click here to check out my complete photo album for this lamp.




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I have one too! Do you know where one could find the correct shade?

    ReplyDelete