December 4, 2023

My Aladdin Lamp Collection: Gathering Exlusive Fonts (2011-2024)


Gathering Lamp Details

Each year, the National Association of Aladdin Lamp Collectors, or the NAALC, presents a limited edition lamp font to sell to raise funds for the Gathering and other related costs. From 2011 to 2018, there were several 0500 Scallop Drape Footed Drape style fonts created in various colors. Another one was added in 2023 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Aladdin Gatherings. The 0500 mold appears to date back to 1940, however, the lamp wasn't put into production until 1955, coming with Model C burners. The original 0550s came in Alacite and clear, and did not have oil fills.

My New Lamp Fonts

I did not intend to start a mini collection, but, just like Aladdin collecting in general, it just kind of happened! Here is the story...

At the 48th Aladdin Gathering, in Louisville, Kentucky, I saw a particular font that I have been dying to add to my collection. I didn't really want to start getting any lamp fonts that didn't have burners, but this particular font was so interesting! It's a dark purple/blue carnival glass. It was something that we had in our warehouse to glue on the collars and filler collars/caps (which I somehow had forgotten about until I came across the pictures I had taken). I hadn't seen anyone that had this lamp for sale on eBay or at any previous Gatherings, so this was the first one. The catch with this one, though, was that it was being sold as a set...5 total Gathering exclusive fonts, as the one I wanted was part of a series. Well, when looking at what he was asking for them - all WITH burners - it was too good of a deal to pass up! This would be my first purchase from Tom Sauro, and it wouldn't end up being the last! From Tom, I got the following:

  • Vaseline (2014)
  • Ruby Red Carnival (2015)
  • Passion Pink (2016)
  • Hunter Green (2017)
  • Amethyst Carnival (2018) - this one was my reason for getting the entire collection!

I knew there were at least a couple of fonts missing from this collection, so I was on the lookout for the rest. It turns out, I didn't have to look too far. About 10 feet away to be exact, just across from our Crownplace display table, I noticed one I was missing! It happened to be on the table of another collector I know, Fred Stevenson! He was selling it as a complete lamp, mantle, chimney, and all. I was able to convince him to lessen the price to just give me the burner to match what I had for the others. And with that, I was only one lamp short of the full collection. The font I got from Fred was:

  • Royal Cobalt Blue (2011) - 285 made
The last lamp in the collection (at that time) was, seemingly, the most elusive of them all from 2012. That year there were 2 red lamps offered, the Pigeon Blood and the Art Glass Ruby. I would have taken either...whichever I could find first. 

Fast forward 1 year to the 49th Aladdin Gathering in Springfield, Missouri. We were getting ready to set up our table for the lamp show, and who did I run into? It was Tom Sauro. He immediately said he had something for me! I couldn't imagine what it was. To my total astonishment, it was the Pigeon Blood! We made the sale even before he could put it out on his table. I was so excited and shocked that he remembered that was what I needed and made a point to give me the first chance at it. I knew I was taking it home with me! 
  • Pigeon Blood Ruby (2012) - 85 made
Fast forward again to the 50th Gathering in Peoria, Illinois. The NAALC went back to the 0500 mold for the 50th Anniversary lamp. Of course, I needed to get this one to complete the collection.
  • Opal White (2023)
Now, I just hope they don't decide to add another lamp to this collection, because my lamp shelf is full!

Click here to check out my entire photo album for these lamps.



No comments:

Post a Comment