July 26, 2023

My Aladdin Lamp Collection: Model B Solitaire (1938)

 Introducing the 28th vintage lamp in my collection...


Model B White Moonstone Solitaire (B-70)

The Solitaire is highly sought after by collectors. There were only 1000 lamps produced in this style, and only one color - white moonstone. It has not been found in any printed sales literature and it has never been reproduced.

Solitaire Table Lamp Details
Model - B
Years Produced - 1938
Font/Burner - Side Draft
Chimney - Lox-On

Model B Solitaire Lamp Styles
B-70 – White Moonstone

My New Lamp
After adding the Cobalt Tall Lincoln Drape with Scalloped Foot, the Solitaire was next on my list. It is even more valuable than that one, so I wanted to make sure it was the right lamp at the right time. I've seen several for sale at previous Meets and Gatherings, but just couldn't pull the trigger. The 50th Gathering proved to be the right time. I made my rounds around the large showroom and the dozens upon dozens of lamps. All so beautiful and tempting! The first pass-through didn't have anything that jumped out to me. On the second time through though, I saw a beautiful Solitaire on a corner table. I picked it up and looked at the price. I thought there must be a flaw somewhere for that price, but I sure didn't see it. I set it down and went back to our table to think about it. It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass by. There was a second Solitaire from another seller that didn't look as nice and was listed for $800 more! Yikes! I pondered some more, and with some encouragement, I grabbed my checkbook.

I also knew this seller (Tom Sauro) and had bought several other lamps from him in the past, so I felt good about dealing with him. I made my way back to his table and coyly asked if the Solitaire was his and told him I was interested. His eyes perked up and he jumped out of his seat to grab it off the table for me. Without me asking him anything, he said he would sell it to me for $200 LESS than what he had it listed at!!! How awesome is that?! As I started making out my check, he said to make it out to Stewart Black (I guess it was actually his, but was selling it at Tom's table). He grabbed his table partner and introduced us. The man was Stewart's father, Dennis, who I found out used to be a U.S. Senator from Iowa. He proceeded to tell me that his two sons have each found a Solitaire out in the wild, and pulled out his phone to show me a picture of his one son with his lamp find at age 11 (I think)! His son, Stewart, took longer to find this one, but he was super proud of it. He proceeded to grab the lamp from Tom before he wrapped it and said he wanted me to look at something. I joked that he was going to show me something wrong with it now that I paid for it. He said he has seen many Solitaires in his day and this was the nicest one he has ever seen - not a mark on it. I think I got lucky! In another strange turn of events, we ended up sitting with Tom at the banquet, and after we sat down, Dennis and Stewart joined the table! It is always so neat to meet the previous owners of a lamp and to learn more about its origins.

Click here to check out my entire photo album for this lamp.






No comments:

Post a Comment