March 31, 2014

TV Ironicness

Normally, when something really ironic happens, it is music-related. I like to call it "music ironicness". It's when I'm listening to a song, and either it totally relates to something that just happened, or maybe a word in the song was just said out loud, or I read it at the same time it was sung in the song, etc. Well today, something ironic happened, TV-wise.

For my treadmill walk today, I watched the next episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer in my queue on Netflix. That episode was the Season 5, episode 15 called "I Was Made To Love". In that episode, Buffy's mom, Joyce dies. So what's ironic, you ask? Well, I was catching up on my TV blogs that I like to read daily, and in TV Guide's "Ask Matt" column, the very first question included a reference to this exact episode of Buffy! Keep in mind, this episode originally aired in 2001...it's 13 years old! How totally ironic, for this show to be referenced...let alone the EXACT episode that I literally just watched 2 hours ago! Whoa!

This was the reference:

Question: I'm sure you have tons of letters in your mailbag about the "twist" on The Good Wife. For once, this was not over-hyped at all. I've always stood by the idea that the creators of shows are artists who have the right to do whatever they want with their characters, and we should be more angry with gratuitous plot twists or inconsistent character development than things that just make us sad. It is a "melodrama," after all, and entertainment does not mean that you will be made happy all the time. That said, I have had to rein myself in about Will's death, which might rank as the most upsetting TV death in my long history of TV watching. Unlike, say, the death of Joyce Summers on Buffy, Will and Alicia have seemed integral to the plot trajectory of the show, and now I feel like a main source of my pleasure is gone.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment