August 18, 2019

My Aladdin Lamp Collection: Model 1 (1909-1910)

Introducing the 26th vintage lamp in my collection...


Representing the Model 1s: Nickel Table Lamp (101)

The very first Aladdin, the Model 1 was produced between 1909 and 1910.  They were the result of the Charles E. Wirth's patent applied to the Plume & Atwood (P & A), and was the American version of the Practicus.

Nickel Table Lamp Details
Model - 1
Years Produced - 1909-1910
Font/Burner - Center Draft
Chimney - Heel-less

Model 1 Lamp Styles
101 – Nickel or Brass Table Lamp with or without 201 Opal Shade
102 – Nickel or Brass Font (Store or Fount) Lamp
103 – Nickel or Brass Hanging Lamp
104 – Nickel or Brass Hanging Lamp with Shade and Smoke Bell
105 – Nickel or Brass Wall (Bracket or Fount) Lamp
106 – Brass Oil Pot
108 – Brass or Bronze Parlour Lamp with Green Cased Shade
110 – Brass Student Lamp

My New Lamp
I finally got one! The very first Aladdin, Model 1! So exciting! This is the first and only Model 1 I have seen on eBay. I thought my chances of getting it were next to none. After checking out all of the pictures and researching in my books, it appeared that the only issue the lamp had was the flame spreader. Original Model 1 flame spreaders are very hard to find. This one appears to have a reproduction because of how new the brass looks. Normally, I would wait to find a lamp that had everything original, but for this rare find, I made an exception. The starting bid was over $100 below the book's low price, so I thought it would be worth it. The lamp is complete with the reproduction flame spreader, so I'm still pretty happy about that. If I can manage to find an original flame spreader, I think the price I will have in the lamp will still be well within the range of what it is worth.

From the outside, the Model 1 font looks very similar to that of the Models 2-6, and even the 9-11 (if seen with the burner on). The difference and idenifying feature can be found in the center draft tube. Most center draft tubes are completely open. The tube of the Model 1 has a small pin and tiny brackets, or support, holding it in place. This supports the button flame spreader. Another identifier is the single low crease in the inner wick tube is specific to the Model 1.







The gallery looks like the Model 2, but a good idenifier is the imprinted marking on the side, which is PAT. OCT. 13 '08. Early Model 2s had this as well, but it should be present for a Model 1. I believe I have a later Model 1 as the gallery does not have the hole on the side for the very early cap mantles, and the holes around the cone are closed if you look at them from the bottom.

The burner basket is also similar to Model 2s. The back of the wick raiser knob is blank, which is a good indication that it is a Model 1. Some 2s are also blank ("Made in USA" is missing). Mine is blank, so that is a good sign. The only problem with my burner basket is that the knob and post appear to be missing the set screw :(. That's too bad, but the knob still works to raise and lower the wick, so I'm happy about that. Although I can't seem to get the wick and wick raiser to come completely out. I don't want to pull too hard and not be able to get it back in. My Model 2 slides right in and out with no problem, so I'm not quite sure what is preventing this one.

Another cool thing is the wick that came with the lamp. It appears to maybe be an original. It has a blue thread running down the center. I can't tell what word is printed in red on the wick, but it could be "Sunglight" because I can tell the last letter is a "T". I've read that this most likely would be original to the burner.



Click here to check out my complete photo album for this lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment