June 12, 2018

Aladdin Lamp Sighting in Deadwood

I know, I'm so late in joining the Deadwood bandwagon, but that's how it goes when you don't have HBO. I'm all the way into the 3rd season, and I've been looking and looking at all of the oil lamps that are in every single scene, and had yet to find one. BUT, lo and behold, in two back-to-back episodes, I think I spotted 3. Now it makes me want to go back and rewatch to see what I missed!

If you aren't familiar, Deadwood depicts Deadwood, South Dakota in the 1870s. Quick history lesson: the Aladdin lamp was invented in 1908. All of the lamps I found happen to be wall lamps, which are not usually as common as table lamps. Unfortunately, the lamps were always way in the background and often out of focus, so it was hard to get a good look at the entire lamp and get a good picture of them.

The first ones I noticed were 2 matching brass lamps in the Gem saloon. I am almost positive that these are Deluxe Brass Wall Lamps. It is a lamp that we still currently sell, though the design is based on a style that goes all the way back to at least the Model 3. The wall plate on the bracket looks a lot like what we sell, and I've seen a similar design that goes back to at least the Model 6. The first thing that caught my eye was the base with the holes, and then I saw the wall plate. From far away, you can see that the chimneys are taller than a standard oil lamp. There could be a faint hint of a mantle inside, but I just couldn't get a good enough look to tell for sure. The close-up in the second picture shows the burner pretty well (unfortunately, the camera never panned up high enough to see the whole thing). From certain angles, the knob appears to be octagonal, which would suggest a Model 23. This would have been the current model during filming, but way too new for the time period. But then again, Aladdins hadn't even been invented yet, so any lamp would be too advanced for this time period.







The next one I found appears to be a clear lamp in a wall bracket, similar to the Clear Regency we still sell. This one was never shown up close, so it is very hard to tell exactly what it was. I think the one hanging on the wall in the background of the first picture is the same as the one in the second picture. For some reason, the light showed up too bright in the second picture. The third picture is in the next episode, but it is the same room in daylight. Still too hard to get a decent look at it.




The third sighting appears to also be related to the Deluxe Brass Wall Lamp, just in a different set location - this time in the hotel. Notice the similar bottom part of the lamp and the wall plate on the bracket. You can also see the burner fairly well in the second picture.




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment